Dairy Free Pots De Creme
We love chocolate. Most nights we eat a little something sweet, especially after being so disciplined all day. Usually, we opt for a few squares of Trader Joes 85% dark chocolate, but some nights deserve something a little special. Or, I just have a few extra minutes to actually put something together.
This recipe is super quick and easy, it does require time to set, however if I make it on the weekend we have servings for much of the week. Alternatively, this chocolatey dessert is so rich and yummy, it could be served to guests.
Whats even better about this dessert is it’s dairy and gluten free!
You can use any kind of chocolate you have in the house for this, but we prefer dark. When I know I’m going to make this I buy Montezuma’s Absolute 100% dark chocolate from Trader Joe’s. Have you tried it? It’s full of cocoa nibs, and when added to these pots de creme, they add a very nice crunch!
I usually just do what I have on hand for toppings when eating these little pots, this time it was strawberries and some fresh mint from the garden. Whipped cream or coconut cream with shaved chocolate would be nice, as would some chopped nuts or toffee. the possibilities are endless. OK, I think I’ve talked these up to the point where I want some…. time to get cooking! Enjoy.
- Add coconut milk, egg yolks, salt and maple syrup and vanilla to a medium sauce pan. Whisk over low heat often, being careful not to boil.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate, whisky, and salt. Stir until chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- Pour into eight 4 ounce ramekins and cool in refrigerator for 3-4 hours until firm.
- Top with fresh berries, coconut cream or whatever suits your fancy.