Cauliflower Crust Pizza
This recipe is a perfect compromise for those wanting to indulge in pizza, while adding in more vegetables and being on on a keto or low carb diet.
Substituting traditional crust for a cauliflower-base is healthier, and beneficial for those avoiding gluten, but also tastes great; it may be even preferable to some of the crusts that you can find at take-out delivery chains.
This recipe has a cauliflower base with some added spices, almond flour, cheese and egg for a binder. You need to ensure that you squeeze out as much moisture as possible in the cauliflower prior to creating the crust, or else it will be soggy. One thing that we find particularly helpful is Trader Joe’s frozen bagged cauliflower. It is already diced and ready to go!
So, let’s get on board with one of the more popular variations on pizza, experiment with your favorite toppings and let us know what you think.
- 2 12 ounce bags of frozen cauliflower rice
- 3 T. shredded parmesan
- 3 T. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2- 3/4 c almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp organic Italian seasoning
- 1 15-16oz can of organic tomato sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp organic oregano
- 1 tsp organic basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp organic crushed red pepper
- Pepperoni, mushroom, green pepper, basil... you get the idea, add what you like!
- Pour bags of cauliflower rice into a large bowl, cover with damp paper towels and microwave for 5 minutes
- Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until liquid is released.
- Set aside to cool
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Once cooled, pour cauliflower rice into a nut milk bag or cheesecloth
- Squeeze until very dry
- Add back to bowl
- Add 1/2 cup almond flour and the rest of the ingredients and mix
- If mixture seems sticky, add remaining 1/4 c almond flour
- Cover pizza pan with a sheet of parchment paper
- Pour crust mixture onto pan with paper and start spreading to the edges (Note: It might help to dampen fingers with water to help smooth out the dough)
- Bake crust in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until starting to brown
- Remove from oven and top with sauce and toppings (you will have left over sauce).
- Continue to cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned
- Add olive oil to a small saucepan
- Add garlic and stir
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes